stat counter

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

learning to use her voice


The other night I was working to get Molli tired so I dragged her to my bed, and we laid down facing each other.  She started jabbering at me, like she had a story to tell.  I had to laugh, especially when as I repeated her, she continued even more matter-of-factly.  It was a sweet moment and I just love how vocal she is getting. (I’m sure I’ll kick myself for that sentence in a couple years).

Since she is so much more into everything these days, I have been telling her “no” a lot more.  I have been making an effort to rephrase my reprimands to something more positive.  Instead of telling her “no” when I see her going for the cords, I say something like, “please do not touch the cords,” or, “lets play with a toy instead.”  I like to think she’ll still get the point, but won’t obsess on the word “no” and begin repeating it back to me.  I’m dreading the day.

It’s cute to see how her vocalization has shifted over the months.  She is starting to repeat things we say, if she already knows and makes the sound. Like if I tell her to come to Mommy, she’ll look at me and say, “Mah-mah, Mah-mah.”  It’s sweet and makes me excited for when she’ll experiment with making sounds into words.

One other thing that cracks me up is how she is learning to express her opinions.  It usually comes out when she is redirected, or something is taken away from her.  Sometimes she’ll throw a fit but sometimes it’s a simple “Ba!” with a clenched fist or a hand smacking the ground.  No, I don’t think it’s cute when kids throw fits, but I am somewhat fascinated by her growing personality, her ability to have an opinion and express it.

No comments:

Post a Comment