stat counter

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Blog problem temporarily resolved!

I have a blog problem.  It’s the same problem I have when I journal, or when I think about calling someone I haven’t talked to in a long time.  I hate being absent, but I get overwhelmed at the prospect of filling in the gaps with a chunk of words revolving around my life that will remain interesting enough to someone other than myself.  Bear with me…

My good friend, Chandra, summed up a special event I want everyone to know about- a beautiful reunion with our dear college friends and their babies.  (How do you like my cheap attempt to get out of a blog I should have written, but slacked?)

Molli has, of course, been such a joy to us.  She leaves Myles and me astounded at the end of everyday and we are in awe of the remarkable strides she has been taking.  She is growing and maturing in every single way.  I seriously don’t even know where to begin. 



(She went to the beach!)




(She went on her first bike ride)


Motor skills:
Molli took her first few little, wobbly steps in Arizona, in July.  They were not graceful, and they still aren’t.  She is getting more and more brave, experimenting with stepping from one person to another, or wobbling on her feet from one piece of furniture to another.  I am proud of her when I glance over and see her standing in the middle of the living room after walking from the couch.  She knows no fear.


(This is so Molli)

She’s a climber.  It’s hilarious and terrifying.  The other day I set her down, noticed that she was crawling toward the bedroom doorway (which was blocked off with a gate).  Literally 2 seconds later I looked and she was somehow up at the top of the baby gate, just about to tip over and probably crack her head open on the wood floor awaiting her.  My little Humpty Dumpty! Agh!  I caught her just in time and true to her stubborn nature, she continued this attempt several times until I removed the gate and closed the door.  Sheesh. 


(One of many attempts to get over the gate)

Social/Emotional:
We are learning that our pre-toddler is not ready to express manners, but she does express love.  When prompted, she will make kissy sounds/kissy faces and will occasionally come in for a wet one.  She hasn’t mastered keeping the pucker going and sometimes will just open her mouth or stick her tongue out.  Last night I suggested she give her baby-doll a hug after I put her jimmies on, and I was surprised that she reached out and did it!  Since then, I’ve been making her hug everything.  She’ll hold it, put her head on it and pat it with her hand.  It’s just so sweet.


(Sweet kisses)


(wet kisses)

Communication:
Her communication skills are also really advancing lately!  We have been using a couple of signs with her (more, please, all-done, thank you) and she has caught on to more and all-done.  She does her own little versions of these signs, but it’s so cute to know that she is communicating her wants with us. 

Her receptive communication has been taking off.  She will point to a couple body parts and will almost always stick out her tongue when you ask where it is.  She can follow, well, understand, basic directions. 
“Please put that down.”
“Give it to Mommy, please.”
“Please sit down.”
“Sit down.”
“Molli, we sit in the bathtub.”
“Not in your mouth, please.”
“Can I have it?”
“Have a seat.”
…you get the point.

She is also exploring animal sounds.  She has been making “doggie sounds” for a couple months, but now she’s trying to do more.  She sometimes does a bear (her growly sound) and now a kitty cat.  The kitty sound cracks me up though because it’s not an actual “meow,” instead, it’s a high-pitched “maaaaaaam.”  So cute =)

Thinking:
Her problem solving skills are really fun to watch.  She knows now, how to search it out when something is hidden and how to hide/be silent when she is being sneaky. She knows how her toys work and looks for the pieces to make it work right.  She can’t do her puzzles correctly, but she knows that the pieces somehow work to make the puzzle and she bangs the pieces onto the board. 

So there you go.  Many of the facets of miss Molli’s life all squished into one post.  I also would like to point out that the entire time I wrote this, she has been napping.  I also ate lunch and worked a teeny bit on a craft project beforehand.  Can I get a hallelujah?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment