stat counter

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Remembering


I sit here tonight a little bit choked up as I watch my son drift off to sleep.  We are listening to the same lullabies that Molli and I spent countless hours rocking and listening to.  In the same way a certain smell can remind a person of a specific memory, these songs have brought me right back to Molli’s baby days and I can’t help but reminisce and be a little emotional. I have been so enormously blessed through these two children and the immensity of my love for them is inexpressible.  The idea that my memory of them during these precious stages will certainly fade breaks my heart.  It is a fact that they will grow but I do not want to forget all the sweetness that they are right now. 

Gavin:  You are such a sweet boy.  You’re only six and a half weeks old but already I can see how different you are from your sister.  You love to be cuddled and bounced on my exercise ball.  You’re a pretty serious little guy so far, offering smiles only on your own time.  You don’t make a lot of sounds yet, unless you are sleeping.  When you’re asleep you’re like a little puppy, grunting and snorting all the time, especially as you wake up.  You prefer to sleep in the bouncer, so you spend most of the night on the floor next to my side of the bed. The basinet is there too, but generally you’re more content in the bouncer, which is just fine by me. You eat pretty consistently every two hours and your little figure is proof of your frequent feedings!  You’re a chunky little guy!  I have a hard time thinking about you and Molli looking alike because you have this adorable little pudge that she never had. Be prepared for a lot of cheek pinching in your future!

Molli: My goodness what a remarkable little girl you have become.  I think the most notable thing about you at this age is your intelligence.  You are a problem solver and a do-it-yourselfer.  You’re brilliance is most obvious in your vocabulary.  You speak exclusively in sentences now and are working hard at learning how to express yourself verbally.  Sometimes you get frustrated because things don’t work the way you want them to and patience is not your strong point.  You are a very expressive individual, for better or for worse.  For the most part you are kind and thoughtful. Your biggest struggle lately is listening to correction and responding nicely.  You copy most anything you hear or see us say or do (again, for better or for worse). You love your family, but Grammy is your first pick most of the time. You love playing with your dollhouse and the little people that go with it- you call them your “guys.”  Every time you finish a meal, you want the washcloth to go “wash the guys.”  You like to eat turkey dogs, beans macaroni, spaghetti, peas, yogurt, ketchup, chickpeas, French fries, cottage cheese and you do not like meat and you make terrible messes with cornbread and muffins. You adore your baby brother but sometimes have a hard time staying out of his face.  You love to touch his face and have a strange obsession with his eyes.  If he is awake (or grunting) you shout that his eyes are open and immediately go touch him.  You ask to hold him with your hands out like you’re holding water in them.  You’re a fan of Elmo, big time. You are learning your colors, to go on the potty, to count, and to clean up after yourself. 

The lullabies are still playing, but my darling baby has fallen asleep.  Sometimes I just stare at him.  I hope these moments will be etched deeply enough in my memory that I will never forget.  Tonight I will simply enjoy the gift of love and will thank God for trusting me with these two precious treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment