stat counter

Monday, August 6, 2012

The Early Weeks


We are wrapping up what parents can fondly remember as “the early weeks.”  Those weeks that are full of internal chaos initiated and perpetuated by days that turn into nights and nights that turn back into days without any separation besides pajamas. Which, if I’m going to be honest, doesn’t necessarily involve any change for me, considering I remain in pajamas day and night, unless I leave the house.  Then again, I’m not above going out in my most minimally offensive pajamas. I digress.  We are four weeks into life with our son and I think we’re stepping out of “the early weeks” and into real life.  This is not to say that Gavin and I are sleeping through the night (HA!), or that we’ve got everything figured out, but we are getting into the swing of things and I’m learning what it means to be a mommy to two. 

Molli, the poor girl, has been in unusual form for the past few weeks.  The cards are definitely stacked against her.  Between Mommy and Daddy bringing home a new baby for everyone to look at and hold, cousin Jackson visiting for a couple weeks and bumping her aside for some of the spotlight (along with sharing toys, space, food etc.) and being a very nearly two year old, she has every right to be having a rough time.  She spends much of her days engaging in forbidden activities, glancing at me with sideways eyes to make sure I’m watching.  Attention, it seems, is welcome in any capacity.  Unfortunately, she’s received more than her typical share of negative attention. She’s mastered fit throwing, ignoring, toy hoarding, biting, and occasionally throws a bout of starvation on me. She’s definitely becoming more proficient at timeouts. (Granted, it’s that time of life where such behavior is expected, and some of it was certainly provoked.)

Simultaneously, she has been incredible.  She’s a fabulous big sister and really loves her baby Gavin.  She wants to be close to him at any opportunity (more often than not, way too close!) and she likes to be a big helper.  She’ll bring me things I need, watch diaper changes and baths, and offer to “hold him” (which is really more like she sits still with her arms down by her sides as I hold him over her lap).  She is also talking in full sentences most of the time and is practicing using the big girl potty.  She’s not awesome at it, and still wears diapers, but we’re slowly getting there.  I am proud of all of her new accomplishments! 

Gavin is such a sweet little dude.  He hasn’t shown as much personality so far as Molli did at this age, but he’s working on it. He is a snacker and a napper, typically not really into great long feeding sessions and doesn’t care to sleep for long periods of time. And when he does sleep, he’s LOUD.  We thought Molli was noisy, with her squeaks, grunts and whimpers, but this is a whole new level of sleep noise.  This guy growls and grunts, big time, especially when he’s trying to wake up, poop or has gas.  It cracks me up!

We had a bit of a rocky start with nursing.  Almost immediately out of the hospital we both developed thrush.  What a major bummer!  If you’ve had it, you know how awful it can be.  We have been trying medical and homeopathic remedies and finally, after being treated for a solid 3 weeks, we are seeing light at the end of the tunnel.  Like I said, a major bummer.

Gavin is one whole month old today.  Time is flying by.  He’s 1/12 of the way to his first birthday.  It’s been a fabulous month though! In addition to Mommy and Daddy, he’s already had the opportunity to get to know his sister, Grammy and Papa, Uncle Zach, Aunt Rorie, Uncle Brian, Uncle Nate and Aunt Tamara, and his cousin Jackson!  That’s a lot of people, and more to come!  One of the hardest parts about being in Illinois when Molli was born was not getting to have family around to help and to be part of that experience.  While We’re not around everyone, I feel very blessed to have had the help of my parents.

Happy One Month birthday, little man, we survived the early weeks!



No comments:

Post a Comment