stat counter

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Greats are in town!

What a wonderful day it has been! I was all kinds of productive this morning and Molli was actually cooperative for me while I got my stuff done.  That's probably a first, seriously. She was amazing!  We ran our errands, paid a bill, made an important phone call, went to the post office and had lunch with my main squeeze.  All in all, a really good morning.

And the day only got better!

My grandma and grandpa came to town from Arkansas to love on Molli for a couple days.  Molli spent a little time eyeballing her GREAT grandparents for a while, then warmed up and played very nicely!  It was so sweet watching my daughter interact with my grandparents.  It made me wonder how my grandparents interacted with me when I was a baby girl.  I have fond memories of going to my grandparent's house as a kid.

I remember the pool in the back yard and the red swing.  There was a tree with a white painted trunk in the front yard that my brothers and I asked about every time we arrived. (It didn't make sense that a tree trunk would be white!)  I remember the sitting in a sesame street booster seat, a yellow stool and flowered trash can in the kitchen (which they still use).  I remember a trampoline near the living room, pushing on my grandma's hand veins, the sliding door to the bathroom and riding bikes up and down the street (and never, EVER being allowed to turn the corner of the street).  Vienna Sausages and Frosted Flakes.  Stuffed black cat in the car, tennis ball hanging in the garage, hot sidewalks, the dog that always reminded me of Barkley from Sesame Street. Day bed, giant pencils, ice cream truck. The time we forgot Zach's Lambie Lou...

These memories of grandparents place are from the days when we still lived in Arizona, early and pre 1992- when we moved to Alaska.  After that, visits were fewer and farther between...but still sweet.  I bet my parents never knew to appreciate living in such close proximity to them.   It makes me want so badly to live closer to my parents so Molli can have these kinds of memories of her Grammy and Papa's. As of now, we really don't know where we'll end up, but we are certainly praying and seeking direction for the next steps for our family.  I just really hope that wherever we end up is perfect for everyone (is that possible?).

Anyhow, my grandparents are in town and I'm feeling nostalgic remembering sweet the details of times past. It warms my heart that they have been willing to come all the way here to play with my little girl.  What a special experience.

*I would share some pictures of this special visit, however, the pictures are on my phone, which is in Molli's room. Molli is sleeping and the phone is acting as sound machine in efforts to enhance sleep. Stay tuned*

1 comment:

  1. Sweet, sweet post and I am so impressed with your memory skills! I can picture every single thing you mentioned at their house. Brian won't remember any of it :)

    ReplyDelete