stat counter

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Not a normal post, during not a normal week.


Oh man, what a week!  We joined up with two other families and had a much needed, and very successful yard sale.  We all got rid of a lot of things; some very random, some very nice.  It was stressful leading up to it and at times even more stressful during.  It wouldn’t have been so bad if I didn’t have to keep Molli happy, fed and safe. (Maybe in the opposite order).  She was really a trooper though!  A three year old, two one year olds and a 9 month old were part of this yard sale experience, and I think it’s more than safe to say that there are three mommas who are extremely tired and excited to get back into a normal routine. 

With no intention of putting down any of our friends here, I have to say, I think it’s time that Myles and I expanded our circle of friends.  I hoped for a babysitter for the weekend, but we have no family around and I couldn’t think of anyone to call, so I made a facebook shout out.  While eight people responded with “I would if I lived closer,” zero people in Lincoln were able/wanted to.  No wonder Myles and I have only been on one date since Molli has been born!  There are some wonderful couples we know through our small group, but really don’t know many other people here.  After three and a half years, you think we’d be more settled into the community.  I’m sure a lot of this is due to us being involved in primary root-planting scenes out of town, and probably the fact of knowing that we wont be here forever. We’ve both spent a good amount of time working in other towns and Myles has been preaching at a church an hour away.  We don’t have the relationships we so desire here. How else do people meet people? 

We’d love to have a couple older than us as mentors to pour into our lives and share in our trials and joys, and likewise a younger couple to love and pour into.  I think this affects me a lot.  I so heavily value discipleship and crave relationships of that nature.  Sharing wisdom, experience, advice and love.  Modeling after a respected person/couple is the simplest and most powerful way to deepen myself, and my relationships.  I’ve been hoping and praying for such people to come into our (Myles and my) lives for a long time now.  (I have to mention that there is a college student whom I have had the honor of knowing and beginning a mentoring relationship with.  I love our talks and hope for more time soon!)

This has not been about Molli, for the most part, but I think my thoughts tonight are spurred by knowing the importance of relationships.  How her dad and I interact with people, directly affects Molli.  We want to model a solid relationship that is guided primarily by God and I truly believe in learning from a couple who has been where we are.  We want to be good parents and  glean wisdom from other, seasoned, parents.

I will do a Molli update soon, but for now, you get to read what’s on my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment