stat counter

Monday, September 10, 2012

Big Dirt


My love for Alaska is in full swing after soaking up a hefty dose of genuine Alaskan beauty for several hours today.  The kids and I met up with a wonderful group of ladies (gmums- a group of cloth diapering mommies who use gdiapers) in Seward.  It took about 2 and a half hours to get to Seward and the entire time, there and back, I had to continually reminding myself to stay focused on driving rather than looking at all the gorgeous nature surrounding me.  The trees were vibrant with fall colors and the fireweed bragged it’s name. There was just enough wind to set some of the leaves free and plenty of sun to sparkle off the water. 

Molli and Gavin slept (and snored) for part of the drive and out of nowhere, Molli piped up and observed, “Big dirt!”  It took me a second to figure out what she was talking about, but I realized that she was thrilled to see all the mountains surrounding us. She repeated several times that she sees water and tall mountains, concluding that she “likes them.”

The SeaLife Center was really fun.  We got to see lots of different (gross looking) fish and some sea lions.  Molli was really intrigued by the aquariums where she could stand face to face with the bigger fish.  She would lift her hand to the glass and tell me that she wants to touch them.  There is one part of the observatory where you can touch star fish and urchins (or some other icky sea wiggly thingies).  She was standing there, looking into the water and I prompted her to touch them with her finger.  She did and expected to touch a plate of glass.  When her hand went in the cold water instead of flattening on glass as she presumed, she freaked out!  She screamed and yanked her hand back with her fingers stiff and separated.  Her whole body was tense as she stared at her dripping hand.  I about died laughing. 

After the center, we all met up at a very nice park and let the kids burn off some energy.  It was sweet to see the kids playing together uninhibitedly, as kids do, and I was happy to have conversations with some very kind moms. 

I left Seward reassured that I can and will make friends here and fit right in; I just need to make more effort.  Moving back to my hometown has brought comforts and complications.  I love the familiarity of this place and the way it just feels like home.  I can see my family growing together and planting roots.  It’s also complicated because although it feels like home, it has changed.  Well, more precisely, I have changed.  I don’t have the same relationships and connections with those I used to know.  It’s a strange position to be in, having a good amount of acquaintances but few/no real friends. The two people I feel most connected with up here are both moving out of state relatively soon.  I’m so sad, but maybe this is the push I need to step out and meet some people.  I think I used up most of my extravertedness when I was too young to appreciate it.  I could use a little of that now! 

Anyway, I had a really nice day and enjoyed the opportunity to see some beautiful “big dirt.”

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about your adventures. We miss you guys a lot. We are kind of living vicariously through our friends who have moved away! We need to meet Gavin and catch up! Skype or Google hangout soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We show Molli pictures and videos of Ella as they come and she loves them. I tell her that Ella is her friend from Illinois, when we used to have doggies. Gavin is such a sweetie. He's wonderful and charming, but so different from Molli, it's funny!

      Delete