stat counter

Sunday, September 23, 2012

gdiapers have won my diapering heart.


If you ask me what one of the biggest differences between Molli as a baby and Gavin has been, I would say, diapering.  Not because of the obvious anatomical differences (although that too) but I used regular old fill up the earth with poop disposable diapers with Molli, but I’m cloth diapering Gavin.  This might gross you out because cloth diapers seem to produce visuals of manhandling poop, but it’s really not like that.  Let me brag for a minute on the diapers we use.

We have been using gdiapers since Gavin was just under two weeks old.  They are a cute, fairly trim version of cloth diaper that can also be used with a flushable insert instead of a cloth insert.  I’ll walk you through how it goes for us. 

First, the pieces:  
 
Little gpants are the cute colored part of the diaper that doesn’t get icky, if all goes as intended.

Snap in pouch.  This very important part holds the insert. The elastic on the edges forms a seal keeping any ickyness contained.

Cloth insert: Pretty much what you expect.  It’s the part that absorbs the potty.  The microfleece layer on top keeps moisture from sitting against the baby’s skin. This part can be replaced with a grefill- a flushable insert.  (Although I’m cheap and don’t use those). 

* not pictured * flushable liner.  This part comes into play when the poop gets more intense and isn’t water-soluble (the joy of breastmilk poop!).  Place the liner over the insert and dispose of in the toilet.  Its job is to catch the poo and make cleaning a bit easier. 

Now put it all together.  Snap in the pouch... 


 ...and stuff with a liner.


One unique aspect of gdiapers is that they close in back, unlike most (any?) other brands.  This is especially handy when kids get a little bigger and can undiaper themselves.  Puts the temptation out of sight!

Here is my "gstation"


My method is pretty simple.

I have two diapers going at a time on any given day.  One on the baby, one ready to go. Since the snap in pouches are a breathable material, they get a little damp so I rotate between two diapers, allowing time for one to air out while the other is in use. 

I have a cube filled with all our stuff- little gpants, stuffed pouches and a stack of inserts.  It’s all pretty self-explanatory.  I snap in a pre-stuffed pouch and put on a diaper. 


 I toss the dirty insert into the wet bag/trash can.  Sometimes the pouch gets poop on it, in which case I change that out too. 

 

(zippered wet bag option)


(trash can with wet bag option...I prefer this because I can just open the trash can with my foot instead of dealing with a zipper)

Washing is easy.  I typically wash the gpant (with Velcro tabs closed) and snap in pouches with regular laundry and the inserts get washed with the wetbag.  I turn the wetbag inside out and throw it all in together, adding a prewash and rinse  to the cycle.  I hang dry the wetbag and pouches but put the inserts in the dryer.  The gpants technically can be dried but they will keep their color and last longer if air-dried. 



 Would you believe that Gavin is 2.5 months old and we haven't had a single blowout!  I can't even tell you how many times we had to change Molli's clothes as a little baby due to explosive poops (talk about gross!).  No blowouts + earth friendly + pocket friendly = YES PLEASE!

(I will say though, that there is no such thing as a perfect diaper in which no leaks will ever occur.  We are currently between sizes and do get some leackage from time to time.  Just #1 though, not #2.)



No comments:

Post a Comment