stat counter

Monday, February 28, 2011

My mom is crafter supreme.  I've always admired her ability to create things out of bits and pieces from her craft room.  She had an entire room dedicated to crafting.  There was a closet of sorts filled with a plethora (if you will) of fabrics- from a basic calico to furs and everything in between.  She had a set of drawers with a rainbow of ribbons and other containers with miniature novelties.  Forbidden scissors, hot glue, stamps, tools, acrylic paints, dowels, stuffing and a host of other gems all perfectly organized and so very reflective of my mom.  This room was her canvas, where so many things have been created.

I'm not going to lie, I'm jealous of her skills. I can do many of the things she can, but with about 1/10 of the skill.  She has a way of making everything she does just perfect, whereas I get frustrated and impatient.  Somewhere, probably amongst her craft items, are the components of a quilt that I purchased over a decade ago and have not touched.  I realized making a quilt will take me a long time...a very long time.  I hate to admit it, but I'm more of a results kind of person, not a process type. I will take a project that can be started and finished in a day, or better yet, an hour or so, over a long term project (like a quilt) any day.  I like to be able to do things, but I dislike honing my skills and learning the processes.

When we moved into our house last summer I had high hopes for a craft room.  There is a bedroom in the basement that would do well to become our guest room, or better yet, my very own craft room...the wheels began turning.  Unfortunately for me, they also began turning for my husband.  Is that room my craft room? Sadly, no. Is it a guest room? Also no. It is a gun room.  I never thought I'd live in a house with a gun room.  However, outside that room is what we consider my crafting area.  The basement has been under a hazardous form of cleaning since, well, a long time ago.  It's unsatisfactory for legit crafting, therefore my living room is messed with scattered bits of yarn (lots and lots of yarn) and more recently my sewing machine, fabrics, and my sewing paraphernalia have moved up.  It's a mess (and we all know how much I love messes!).

Anyhoo... I have a secret sewing project in the works, but I took a break and I tried my hand at making a stuffed critter for Molli.  Behold, her new owl friend:


She loves him already


This kid was cracking me up today in her jumper.  What a squealer!



No comments:

Post a Comment